Sunday, December 19, 2010

good, bad, ugly, not in that order.

With interest from a few quarters, positive and negative, and an experienced eye or two, a week can change everything.
I bought a scoot from Vietnam, I knew the history, the horror stories. I took a gamble and as they say "buyer beware". I now have a scooter that I absolutley love riding, she goes ok, no problems, not big ones at this stage.
Every little twist and turn opens up a new WTF.
From good advice, I sort of waded into the deep end and  attempted to start from scratch. I re-set the carb, established the TDC (top dead centre) of the piston, checked the points gap and half arsed checked the timing, more on that later.



Pic one. The carby, a new, I think, Spaco dellorto 20/20. we are still getting to know each other.
Pic two. a down loaded timing disk in place, a wire marker, probably not so clear, but essential in the process.
Pic three. My badly constructed TDC tool, and disk. I took the busted bum spark plug that came with the scoot and twisted and broke the spark gap thingy off, smashed the ceramic insulation bit off with a hammer and pulled out the electrode, this was all with guidance from a well known scooter website, I then bastardised it with a blue plastic plug, super glue and a long screw. Not pretty but functional.
All said and done, the TDC and the spark timing, was, from a naked eye point of view, close. I will need to either employ the local bike shop or bluff my way through the whole timing light thing
I checked the points gap and was happy, the tolerance should be .3-.5mm, It was over .3 but the.38  just squeezed through, so I think thats ok.
I enjoyed doing this,  I love the "what is the next twist and turn going to present" factor,I'm aware of the possibles, and will deal with them as they present themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment