Sunday, December 5, 2010

Carb tuning.

I took G out for a run today as I was home alone and need supplies for dinner, I naturally took the long way, approx. 40 kms to do a 5 km trip, She ran well but I'm getting a little concerned about the lack of and rapid drop of power when I hit a hill, as mentioned before, even if i'm steaming at 80kms when I hit its a drop that is quick and before I know it I'm contemplating a downshift to third at 55 kms. don't really know what to do short of avoiding hills, which is near impossible, although the hills i'm talking about are pretty big, next time I ride out the long way I will take a pic or two.
Anyhoo, I love the attention the bike gets in town, mostly older blokes doing a double take wtf type of thing, I don't have girls trying to get on the back at the lights, shame, but I get the odd look from the ladies too, now I know for a fact that they are not looking at me, but the plume of 2T in injecting into the atmosphere, well maybe but Gloria is a people bike and I have had waves, toots, thumbs up and people come up for a chat that wouldn't normally give me the time of day, unless I asked of course, today at an intersection I had a lady give the thumbs up and I heard her say nice scooter as she drove past, last week I was parked at a local supermarket and an older gent with his wife stopped and began to tell me how he had a 1958 Vespa he did something like 50,000 miles on, he had a tear in his eye and he couldn't say enough good things about the scoot, I was filling up last week and a really old, probably too old to drive, guy in his flash 4wd and caravan, was filling up too, he finished, hobbled over and just stood there, a bit shaky, looked me in the eye after taking in the Sprint V for about a minute, and said " I haven't seen one of them in a while" and toddled off, funny stuff, On my ride to work I go through a couple of school zones, plenty of kids about, they all turn around when I'm at least 200 metres behind them, and smile and wave as I pass, toot toot as I go by, I'd probably turn around too if I heard a chainsaw coming down the road. The crossing lollypop man at one of the schools always waves me through and gives me a big smile and a wave, I reckon he likes the smell of two stroke. I must stop one day and say g'day.
Well back to the point, my previous post showing the spark plug black as the ace of spades, according to the Haynes manual I or should I say Gloria has carbon fouling, the exhaust is dark to black, not the light blue it should be, so I need to do a quick scrub up on adjusting the air/fuel ratio through the carby and get this sorted. Put that on the list too.

2 comments:

  1. What sort of fuel are you using? Standard 91 unleaded has less additives than Premium, which can cause fouled plugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am running standard 91, 2.5% mineral 2T, I adjusted the carb after talking to the guys in Vietnam, 1/8th a turn and the plug looks a lot better and the exhaust is the colour it should be.

    ReplyDelete